Image credit: Cambridge Exams
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
This is a worksheet for CAE students designed to introduce them to a number of expressions that can appear in the use of English part 4 – key word transformations. Download the worksheet and key below:
Key Word Transformation Training
Key Word Transformation Training KEY
Put students in pairs and have them complete the worksheet together, then play a game of connect 4 or noughts and crosses to check the answers.
Complete the sentences with the key words from the box.
|ACROSS LOSS RESULT LIKELY TRACK UP LOOKOUT MUCH RATHER LET PART SUCH|
- You need to be ON THE ________ FOR pickpockets in this area.
- Plans ARE BEING DRAWN _________ for a new shopping centre on the outskirts of the city.
- ________TO OUR HORROR, when we got back to the hotel all our stuff had been stolen.
- Would YOU __________ I HAD NOT told them about the party?
- _________ME KNOW if you can come to the party, I need to buy the food tonight.
- Andrés WAS AT A _________ TO EXPLAIN why he was late for class again.
- Failure to show a valid ticket is LIKELY TO ________ IN you having to pay a fine.
- It is HIGHLY __________ THAT THE FILM WILL win several awards.
- Quick ACTION ON THE ________ OF the ambulance crew saved the little girl’s life.
- How can I GET IT _________ TO HIM that I’m just not that into him.
- Don’t be silly, there IS NO _________ THING as vampires.
- I’m so sorry I’m late, I (COMPLETELY) LOST __________ OF TIME!
Complete the expressions with a missing preposition.
- I was _____ the point ____ leaving the house when the phone rang.
- He insisted _____ carrying my bag for me.
- He objected _____ being treated in such a rude way.
- They accused him _____ being careless and irresponsible
- Failure to arrive on time for your flight could result ____ you being unable to travel.
- You can always count _____ Jill to have a clear plan in situations like this.
- The headmaster’s speech will be followed ____ a performance by the school orchestra.
- They congratulated me ____ passing my driving test.
- It’s time for you to make ____ your mind about the course you want to study.
- Everything is going according ____ plan.
- The company is highly spoken ____ in the local area.
- The job offer came ____ a big surprise ____ me.
- I was taken ____ by the size of the phone bill. (surprised)
- I’m not going to put up ____ your rudeness anymore! (tolerate)
- Don’t hesitate ____ call if you have any questions or doubts.
- I sometimes feel that my children take me ____ granted.
- They have put him in charge ____ the marketing department.
- I applied ____ Apple ____ a job in sales.
- I am ____ no doubt that the show will be a big success.
- The little boys took no notice ____ what their mothers were saying.