Image credit: coar56ar.com
Follow me on twitter @
This is a warmer/short conversation activity for use with lower-level students (A1-B1) to refresh past simple question formation. Download the handout below:
Unscramble the questions, and then ask them to your teacher:
- summer your how holidays were?
- did where go you?
- there you did do what?
- it did like you?
Ask and answer the questions in pairs.
Complete the questions with a question word:
|Where What (x2) How (x2) Who|
- ___________ was the weather like?
- ___________ did you stay?
- ___________ did you get there?
- ___________ did you go on holiday with?
- ___________ long did you go for?
- ___________ was the best thing you did there?
Match the questions (1-6) with the answers (a-f)
- We went surfing, it was so much fun!
- In a nice little hotel next to the beach.
- We took a plane to the island and then we rented a car.
- We went for 6 days.
- It was lovely, it only rained once.
- I went with my Mum, Dad and little brother.
Ask the questions to your teacher, then to your partner.
Then write 2 new questions for your partner:
|Verb in base form
|What||Was||The best thing||You||Verb in past simple
- How were your summer holidays?
- Where did you go?
- What did you do there?
- Did you like it?
While students are performing the speaking task, be sure to help them with pronunciation of the questions, focusing specifically on weak forms and sentence stress:
Where did you go?
| weə dɪdjə ɡəʊ | – Connected speech and weak form “you”
What was the weather like?
| ˈwɒt wəz ðə ˈweðə ˈlaɪk | – weak forms of “was” and “the”. Sentence stress on “what” “weather” and “like”
If students have photos of their holiday readily available (on a smartphone or tablet) let them show their partner while they describe their holiday.