Image credit: Cambridge English
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
I’ve decided to put all the phrase sheets I have made for CAE writing part 2 together in one pack that I can print out and give to my students in preparation for them sitting the exam in June. Download the pack below:
CAE Writing Part 2 Pack
Image credit: Durham Constabulary
This is a phrase sheet and writing task for CAE/CPE students designed to help them tackle formal letter of complaint tasks. Download the handout below:
Letter of complaint phrase sheet
CAE/CPE – Letter of Complaint
Task – CPE Testbuilder pg 91
You recently stayed at one of a chain of large hotels and encountered a number of problems during your stay. Write a letter to the company’s head office detailing the problems you had, describing what happened when you complained to the hotel staff and suggesting ways the company could improve its service. (CAE 220-260 words – CPE 280-320 words)
- Dear Sir or Madam, / To whom it may concern,
- I am writing to express my disappointment with/dissatisfaction with the service I received in…
- I would like to lodge a formal complaint against your company for the reasons outlined below:
- I feel compelled to write to you in order to describe the
- First of all,
- Not only was there a hair in my wife’s soup, but the main course also arrived cold.
- On top of that…
- As if that was not enough…
- To top it all off…
- The straw that broke the camel’s back was…
- The standard of the… was not up to scratch.
- The… was not up to the expected standard.
- The… left a lot to be desired.
- The… failed to live up to our expectations.
- We were left bitterly disappointed by…
- The quality of the customer service we received was woefully inadequate.
- The… was an absolute disgrace. (v.strong)
- Overall, our visit to your (restaurant) was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish.
- It seems only fair that you should… (offer a full refund)
- I would appreciate it if you…
- I would be grateful if you…
- Should these demands not be met, you will be hearing from my lawyers.
- I expect to receive compensation to the tune of (€2000) for the…
- I strongly recommend that your organisation…
- It would be advisable to…
- I suggest re-evaluating your procedures regarding…
- I look forward to receiving your reply.
- I expect to receive a prompt reply to this letter.
- Yours faithfully,
Image credit: qvictorias.com
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
I’ve recently started teaching CPE again so I decided to make a phrase sheet for my students to help them tackle part 1 of the writing paper, the formal essay. Download it below:
CPE Writing Part 1 Phrase Sheet
- The first text/passage/extract outlines the benefits/drawbacks of…
- The second text argues/claims that…
- The first text advocates… +…ing (supports)
- The second text puts forward the idea that…
- It then goes on to espouse the viewpoint that… (say)
- The text sheds light on the issue/topic of…
- The text brings the topic of… to light.
- The writer of the first text is a firm believer in…
- The writer/author of the second text is highly critical of…
- Both writers seem to agree that…, where their ideas deviate however is on the topic of…
- The second text makes bold statements in support of…
- Not only does the first text state that…, but it also claims that…
- In addition to the aforementioned point, it also claims that…
- One thing the writer fails to mention is…
- A glaring omission from the first text is…
- While the writer makes some valid arguments in favour of…, she ignores the fact that…
- One area which the writer seems to have overlooked is…
- While I am generally in agreement with the majority of the first writer’s points the obvious hole in their argument is…
- Were I to pick holes in the writer’s arguments, I would start by pointing out that…
- I feel it must also be pointed out that…
- When it comes to the topic of…, the text seems to be lacking somewhat
- One major weakness in the writer’s argument is that…
- The text neglects to mention that fact that…
- The writer seems to have gone overboard in their praise/criticism of…
- I am of the opinion that…
- In my humble opinion…
- My thoughts on the matter are that…
- As far as I am concerned,
- As far as my opinions on the matter are concerned,…
- My initial reaction to the opinions outlined in the text was…
- I am a firm believer in…
- On the whole, I tend to agree with… due to the fact that…
Time for Kool and the Gang again, we’ve hit 2,000,000 all-time views! Thanks to all my followers and anyone who has visited the site.
Image credit: Cambridge Exams
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
This is a worksheet for CAE students designed to introduce them to a number of expressions that can appear in the use of English part 4 – key word transformations. Download the worksheet and key below:
Key Word Transformation Training
Key Word Transformation Training KEY
Put students in pairs and have them complete the worksheet together, then play a game of connect 4 or noughts and crosses to check the answers.
Complete the sentences with the key words from the box.
|ACROSS LOSS RESULT LIKELY TRACK UP LOOKOUT MUCH RATHER LET PART SUCH
- You need to be ON THE ________ FOR pickpockets in this area.
- Plans ARE BEING DRAWN _________ for a new shopping centre on the outskirts of the city.
- ________TO OUR HORROR, when we got back to the hotel all our stuff had been stolen.
- Would YOU __________ I HAD NOT told them about the party?
- _________ME KNOW if you can come to the party, I need to buy the food tonight.
- Andrés WAS AT A _________ TO EXPLAIN why he was late for class again.
- Failure to show a valid ticket is LIKELY TO ________ IN you having to pay a fine.
- It is HIGHLY __________ THAT THE FILM WILL win several awards.
- Quick ACTION ON THE ________ OF the ambulance crew saved the little girl’s life.
- How can I GET IT _________ TO HIM that I’m just not that into him.
- Don’t be silly, there IS NO _________ THING as vampires.
- I’m so sorry I’m late, I (COMPLETELY) LOST __________ OF TIME!
Complete the expressions with a missing preposition.
- I was _____ the point ____ leaving the house when the phone rang.
- He insisted _____ carrying my bag for me.
- He objected _____ being treated in such a rude way.
- They accused him _____ being careless and irresponsible
- Failure to arrive on time for your flight could result ____ you being unable to travel.
- You can always count _____ Jill to have a clear plan in situations like this.
- The headmaster’s speech will be followed ____ a performance by the school orchestra.
- They congratulated me ____ passing my driving test.
- It’s time for you to make ____ your mind about the course you want to study.
- Everything is going according ____ plan.
- The company is highly spoken ____ in the local area.
- The job offer came ____ a big surprise ____ me.
- I was taken ____ by the size of the phone bill. (surprised)
- I’m not going to put up ____ your rudeness anymore! (tolerate)
- Don’t hesitate ____ call if you have any questions or doubts.
- I sometimes feel that my children take me ____ granted.
- They have put him in charge ____ the marketing department.
- I applied ____ Apple ____ a job in sales.
- I am ____ no doubt that the show will be a big success.
- The little boys took no notice ____ what their mothers were saying.