Image credit: Cambridge English
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
I’ve decided to put all the phrase sheets I have made for CAE writing part 2 together in one pack that I can print out and give to my students in preparation for them sitting the exam in June. Download the pack below:
CAE Writing Part 2 Pack
Image credit: Durham Constabulary
Before you use these materials… We’ve created a new podcast aimed at B2+ level English students and teachers alike. You can listen for free at our SoundCloud page below. You can download teacher’s notes to accompany them from our Facebook page or from this blog. All comments and feedback welcome! Give us a like and a share 😉
This is a phrase sheet and writing task for CAE/CPE students designed to help them tackle formal letter of complaint tasks. Download the handout below:
Letter of complaint phrase sheet
CAE/CPE – Letter of Complaint
Task – CPE Testbuilder pg 91
You recently stayed at one of a chain of large hotels and encountered a number of problems during your stay. Write a letter to the company’s head office detailing the problems you had, describing what happened when you complained to the hotel staff and suggesting ways the company could improve its service. (CAE 220-260 words – CPE 280-320 words)
- Dear Sir or Madam, / To whom it may concern,
- I am writing to express my disappointment with/dissatisfaction with the service I received in…
- I would like to lodge a formal complaint against your company for the reasons outlined below:
- I feel compelled to write to you in order to describe the
- First of all,
- Not only was there a hair in my wife’s soup, but the main course also arrived cold.
- On top of that…
- As if that was not enough…
- To top it all off…
- The straw that broke the camel’s back was…
- The standard of the… was not up to scratch.
- The… was not up to the expected standard.
- The… left a lot to be desired.
- The… failed to live up to our expectations.
- We were left bitterly disappointed by…
- The quality of the customer service we received was woefully inadequate.
- The… was an absolute disgrace. (v.strong)
- Overall, our visit to your (restaurant) was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish.
- It seems only fair that you should… (offer a full refund)
- I would appreciate it if you…
- I would be grateful if you…
- Should these demands not be met, you will be hearing from my lawyers.
- I expect to receive compensation to the tune of (€2000) for the…
- I strongly recommend that your organisation…
- It would be advisable to…
- I suggest re-evaluating your procedures regarding…
- I look forward to receiving your reply.
- I expect to receive a prompt reply to this letter.
- Yours faithfully,