Image credit: www.zazzle.com.au
Follow me on twitter @
This is a worksheet on expressions related to friendship for higher level learners. I designed it with CAE students in mind. Download the worksheet and key below:
Have students complete the worksheet in pairs and then personalise the expressions so that they are true for them.
Match the expressions on the left with the simple definition on the right.
|1. My best friend and I have been through thick and thin together.
2. My best friend is such a good laugh.
3. My best friend and I are like brothers/sisters from another mother.
4. I can always turn to my friend for advice or help.
5. My best friend always stands up for me in an argument or fight.
6. I know that my best friend has got my back if there’s any trouble.
7. If I tell my friend a secret, I know that their lips are sealed. They would never spill the beans.
8. My best friend is definitely not a fair-weather friend.
9. My best friend and I are lifelong friends.
10. My best friend from primary school and I have drifted apart.
11. My best friend and I are joined at the hip.
12. I often crash at my friend’s house at the weekend.
|a. My best friend isn’t a person who is only around for the good times.
b. My best friend from primary and I have slowly lost contact.
c. My best friend is very trustworthy and good at keeping secrets.
d. My best friend and I spend almost all our time together.
e. My best friend is very funny.
f. I often sleep over at my friend’s house.
g. My best friend and I have experienced both good and bad times together.
h. I know my best friend will defend me if anything bad happens.
i. My best friend always defends me in a fight or argument.
j. My best friend and I are very similar.
k. If I have a problem, I can always talk about it with my friend.
l. My best friend and I have been friends for a very long time.
Complete the sentences
Try to complete the sentences from memory
- I won’t tell anyone, my lips ________ _________.
- You’re such a ________________, as soon as there are any problems you disappear!
- I always see those two together, they’re practically joined _____ ______ _______.
- Jenifer spilt ______ ________ to everyone at the party about Sarah and Johnny.
- Don’t worry, if they start a fight I’ve _____ ______ ______. I’ll definitely stand _____ _____ ______.
- Freddy was there for me when my dog died but also when I got my dream job, we’ve been __________ ______________ ____________ _______________ _____________.
- I don’t know what happened, we were best friends at uni but I guess we just _________ __________.
- It’s getting late and I can’t be bothered to walk home can I ___________ _________ yours tonight?
- I always have so much fun with Tony, he’s such a __________ __________.
- We’re so similar it’s ridiculous we’re like _________ ____________ ___________ _______________.
Describe a close friend to your partner using as many expressions as you can.
- Are sealed
- Fair-weather friend
- At the hip
- The beans
- Got your back, up for you
- Through thick and thin together
- Drifted apart
- Crash at
- Good laugh
- Brothers/sisters from another mother