Image credit: Pexels
Follow me on twitter @
This is yet another Christmas based activity, this one is for low-levels and young learners. Students work together to complete a Christmas themed crossword. Download the lesson plan and handout below:
Warmer – Hangman
Play hangman with “Merry Christmas” to go over the alphabet. Then, once they have guessed the word test and teach students ordinal numbers (first, second, third etc.) like so:
- What is the first letter in “merry”? M
- What is the sixth letter in “Christmas”? T
Write up the different ordinal numbers and drill pronunciation if necessary.
In the handout above there are two versions of the crossword: The first version is just a standard worksheet that students could complete in pairs. The second version is a more communicative version.
If you choose to try the communicative version, follow these steps:
- Put students in pairs, and label them A and B
- Give out the A handout to the As and B to the Bs.
- Tell students that they MUST NOT look at each other’s worksheet.
- They have to work together to complete the crossword in English.
- Student A has all the “across” clues and student B has all the “down” clues.
- Student A reads a clue to student B and they try to figure out what the word could be, they then use the letters to get ideas about what the connecting words could be. This is where the ordinal numbers (the 6th letter is an “r” etc.)
Note: This activity works best as revision as it might be too difficult for young learners if they haven’t encountered these words before.
The winning team is the team that completes the crossword correctly first.
- Wrapping paper
- Santa Claus