The fifth episode of our new podcast for B2+ English students and teachers alike is now live! In this episode we’re talking about our pet hates or things that really annoy us. Go to our SoundCloud page and download the teacher’s notes below:
2Ts in a Pod – Teacher’s Notes Episode 5: Pet Hates
- Intro convo 00:00-7:40
- Vox pop – Nicole – 07:46-09:55
- Vox pops – Abbi – 10:00-12:30
- Be like you – Berenece – 12:45 – 16:38
- 5 Ways to say – 16:50 – 21:00
- Knock knock jokes 21:13 – 25:49
5 Ways to Say
Pet hates/Annoying things
- People get on my nerves when they walk down the street really slowly. (annoys me)
- People who sit on the outside seat on the bus when the inside seat is free drive me insane/drive me up the wall! (annoys me)
- Annoying people get on my tits. (annoys me *informal/rude*)
- Inconsiderate people really piss me off. (annoys me *informal/rude*)
- My pet hate/bugbear is inconsiderate people. (a thing that annoys me specifically)
Making polite requests
- Would you mind turning the volume down? (remember to use …ing!)
- I wish you wouldn’t leave your socks on the floor. (use wish + would to express annoyance)
- I’d rather you didn’t smoke in here. (use past simple when changing subject)
- What’s your pet hate/bugbear?
- What things really get on your nerves when you’re on public transport?
- What things really get on your nerves at work?
- What things really get on your nerves at home?
- What things really drive you up the wall in the street?
- What things do you wish your parents/partner/kids/siblings wouldn’t do?
- Role-play: one person is smoking on the metro, the other wants them to stop.
- Role-play: Parent and teenager arguing about the things each one does that annoys the other.