This is a series of lesson plans based around “Persepolis” by Marjane Satrapi. Each plan deals with the next chapter of the book, students read a chapter a week and bring any vocabulary questions they have to class.
Here are some things that may cause problems from chapter 5.
a porter – a person who carries bags in a hotel or hospital
weave – wove – woven = in relation to the weaving of carpets on the first page.
maid – a cleaner / person who helps maintain a house or cleans a hotel room.
to get along with somebody – to have a friendly relationship
to lace a shoe – to tie a bow to keep a shoe on
to slap – to hit with an open hand
- What happens in this chapter?
- What new characters do we meet?
- What does Marji learn in this chapter?
- Are there distinct social classes in your country?
- Can people marry people from other social classes?
- Have you ever sent love letters?
- Did you have a crush / infatuation when you were growing up?
- We see Mehri telling Marji scary stories about jackals, what scary stories do you remember from you childhood?