Image credit: old-fashioned-school-room.jpg By Robert Weissberg
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
This is a conversation exercise for adult students (A2+) in which they talk about and compare their experiences at school. I have prepared this activity as a follow up to studying comparatives and superlatives so encourage students to compare their schools and personal experiences: Your school was stricter than mine.
Download the handout here:
We had to…
We weren’t allowed to…
We didn’t have to… (it wasn’t necessary)
(noun/gerund)… was compulsory
(noun/gerund)… was prohibited
Put students into groups of 2-4 and have them discuss the questions and then feedback/report what they’ve learnt from their classmates to the rest of the class. For small groups conduct the discussion as a class.
- Where did you go to school?
- Can you describe your school?
- Did you have to wear a uniform? If so, what did it consist of?
- What time did you have to start school?
- What were the rules at your school?
- We had to…
- We weren’t allowed to…
- We couldn’t…
- (noun/gerund)… was compulsory
- (noun/gerund)… was prohibited/against the rules.
- Did you eat lunch at school?
- Who was the best teacher you had at school? Why?
- Who was the strictest teacher you had at school?
- What was your favourite subject?
- What was your least favourite subject?
- Describe a typical day at your school.
- What facilities did your school have? (gymnasium, swimming pool etc.)
- Have you been to your school recently? How much has it changed?
- Would you send your children to the same school?
- What things have changed for the better?
- What things have changed for the worse?
- Who was your best friend at school?
- Are you still friends with them now?
- Do you think school is easier or more difficult nowadays? Why?
Homework: Write an essay comparing and contrasting modern schools to schools in the past. Or a “day in the life” description of your school experience.
6 thoughts on “School: Conversation Topic”
A good teacher always trying for excellent education for his pupils. So skills about teaching is most important factor in healthy education for pupils.
Like.. listening, writing, speaking, reading, learning and understanding.
Other side good vocabulary, grammar and confidence of pupils about English language is also most important thing in education.
It’s very necessary to provide rural students more n more listening mterials , or listening activities , also it’s very important to motivate them for speaking , reading , writing, n to express their feelings in easy words in English . We should try for it. We should provide them that type of atmosphere . Because English is a global language .
Its very useful and necesary
This couse gave experince
listen, read and speak
It’s very useful and necessary course for teacher and student
This course gave experience,listen,speak &read.