Image credit: maybusch.com
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
This is a speaking activity for intermediate and upwards on the subject of persuading and convincing. It can be used as preparation for FCE and CAE due to its similarity to part 3 of the speaking test.
You will need this powerpoint:
Split the class into groups of 4 or 5. Use this quizlet set to practice language for convincing and persuading. For higher levels get them to brainstorm the language in pairs first and then board it.
Language from the quizlet set:
- Don’t you _________ it would be better to go to Ibiza?
- __________ it be better to go to Ibiza?
- I think we _________ go to Ibiza.
- I suggest/recommend ________ to Ibiza.
- We o_________ to go to Ibiza.
- I i__________ that we go to Ibiza.
- By ______ the best idea is to go to Ibiza
- What/How _______ going to Ibiza?
Students discuss the different situations in the powerpoint in their groups of 4-5. Nominate one person from the group to be the person who the others must persuade (parent, headmaster, boss, editor, friend)
Report back at the end. Who was the most persuasive?
One thought on “Speaking Activity: Persuading/Convincing Role-plays”
in this activity should each person in the group choose one of the things on each slide as their thing to persuade the person to do?