Image credit: bemoxie.org
Follow me on twitter @
This is a worksheet for CAE students in which they learn and practice 12 typical C1 phrasal verbs. Download it below:
Match the phrasal verbs in bold with their definitions.
- The comedian did a routine about being drunk at work and the audience lapped it up.
- If we get beaten by the junior team we’ll never live it down so we have to play well.
- In the past people used to just live off the land, nowadays we’re so dependent on shops for everything.
- We spent 3 weeks in India and then we moved on to Thailand. I think we’ve finished talking about that topic, shall we move on to the next one?
- As soon as I turn 18, I’m going to move out of my parents’ house and get my own flat.
- I lived in Brazil for two months, I didn’t do any classes but I managed to pick up a bit of Portuguese.
- You should come shopping with us, we’ll pick you out a nice shirt for the wedding.
- Driver! Driver! Pull over! I’m going to be sick!
- I’ve got a tonne of work to do but I keep putting it off. I’ll have to do it soon.
- I’ve been travelling around all my life. Now I think I’d like to settle down and start a family.
- The new school was a bit scary at first but I’m settling in
- We finished our drinks, settled up with the waiter and left.
|a. Learn/acquire without effort
b. Be allowed to forget st
c. Really enjoy st
d. Pay what you owe
e. Leave a house to live somewhere else
|f. To stop moving and permanently live somewhere
g. To drive to the side of the road and stop
h. Choose st from a selection
|i. Rely on st to survive
j. To start to feel safe and comfortable in a place
k. To postpone
l. To leave a place and travel to another
You and your partner have 1 minute to study the phrasal verbs before another pair tests you on them.
Complete the questions with the phrasal verbs then ask and answer them with a partner.
- Do you trust your friends to ______ ______ nice clothes for you when you’re shopping? What about your parents?
- How are you _________ ______ in class? Do you feel comfortable? How long did it take you to _______ ___ when you first joined your school/workplace?
- What’s the best place to _________ _______ and start a family, the countryside or a big city? Why?
- Do you think you could _______ ______ the land? Could you ______ ______ €50 a week?
- When was the last time you ________ _____ a performance? What was it? Why was it so good?
- Are you _______ ______ any work at the moment? When are you going to do it?
- Have you or your parents ever been _______ ______ by the police? Have you ever had to ______ ______ to be sick?
- When do you want to/When did you _______ ______ of your parents’ house?
- Has anything really embarrassing happened to you that you will never ______ ______? Has anything really embarrassing ever happened to your friends or family that they will never _____ _____?
- When you go abroad do you tend to ______ _____ a bit of the language?
- Pick out
- Settling in – settle in
- Settle down
- Live off – live off
- Lapped up
- Putting off
- Pulled over – pull over
- Move out
- Live down – live down
- Pick up