Follow me on twitter @
This is a handout to help students tackle the four parts of the CAE listening paper. You can download it below. Do you have any other tips?
Part 1 – Short conversations – Multiple Choice
- 3 short extracts. Short conversations between two people.
- 2 questions per extract. 6 marks in total
- Time in between extracts to read next two questions.
- Read questions 1+2 – underline key words
- Listen to extract 1 twice
- Move onto questions 3+4 etc.
Part 2 – Sentence Completion
- Sentence completion – complete sentence with word or short phrase
- 8 questions, 8 marks
- 45 seconds to read task – underline key words and make predictions about type of word (adjective, noun, verb) and possibilities (number? animal? place?)
- Listen for first time – be careful for distractors:
Identify the distractors in this question:
Sentence: The subject Steven was teaching when he first read about the bath toys was ____________________.
Listening text: “So how did I get involved? I’m a college lecturer but not teaching anything like economics or even geography; media studies is my field.”
- Confirm answer on second listening.
- Numbers can be like this: 36 or like this: thirty-six
- Check that word or phrase makes sense in the context of the sentence, Should it be plural? Does it need an article? (a/an/the)
Part 3 – Long Interview – Multiple Choice
- 6 questions multiple choice
- 6 marks in total
- 70 seconds to read the task – 10 seconds per question, underline key words in questions and options, focus on phrases like “biggest benefit” or “most important.”
- First listen try to answer each question or at least cross out any that aren’t possible
- Confirm on second listen.
Part 4 – Two Task Matching
- 5 extracts about same topic – short monologues.
- Two tasks at same time – 10 marks in total.
- 45 seconds to read task – first thing: underline the information for each task: reason why they did the course, consequences/benefits of doing the course.
- Read options and attempt to memorise
- Try to complete both tasks at the same time.