This is a guest post by online language tutor and ELT writer Ned Widdows. Ideal for the first class back after Christmas, it is a B1-B2 lesson with reading, vocabulary and speaking, asking learners to reflect on their experiences of 2020 and to look forward to the year ahead.
Download the teacher’s notes and student handout below:
Write New Year’s Eve on the board / in the chat and ask students to share:
- 5 words connected with New Year (in general)
- 5 words connected with New Year 2021
Optional: share this image and ask students to describe what they see.
Briefly discuss how Christmas and New Year this year have been affected by the pandemic.
A – D on Student’s Handout is self-explanatory.
- Dictate the questions in A.
- Check the pronunciation of some of the trickier vocabulary in B, e.g. /ˌpɪktʃəˈresk/ /pəˈreɪd/
- Get learners to write new sentences with the verb patterns in C, e.g. I’m trying to learn how to play chess at the moment; She misses spending time with her cousins; etc.
- Share a link for a padlet and ask learners to post their texts on it. They can read each other’s and see what they have in common.