Today’s phrase is…
To give one’s word
Here are some examples:
He gave her his word that he wouldn’t tell anyone her secret.
I give you my word that everything I’ve told you is the truth.
Lead students to the meaning: to make a solemn promise.
- How often do you make promises to your friends?
- Do you always keep your promises?
- How good are you at keeping secrets?
- Which of your friends do you feel you can trust with your secrets?
- Are you good at telling if someone is lying or being insincere when they make a promise?