Image credit: Cambridge Exams
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
This is a worksheet for CAE students designed to introduce them to a number of expressions that can appear in the use of English part 4 – key word transformations. Download the worksheet and key below:
Key Word Transformation Training
Key Word Transformation Training KEY
Put students in pairs and have them complete the worksheet together, then play a game of connect 4 or noughts and crosses to check the answers.
Complete the sentences with the key words from the box.
|ACROSS LOSS RESULT LIKELY TRACK UP LOOKOUT MUCH RATHER LET PART SUCH
- You need to be ON THE ________ FOR pickpockets in this area.
- Plans ARE BEING DRAWN _________ for a new shopping centre on the outskirts of the city.
- ________TO OUR HORROR, when we got back to the hotel all our stuff had been stolen.
- Would YOU __________ I HAD NOT told them about the party?
- _________ME KNOW if you can come to the party, I need to buy the food tonight.
- Andrés WAS AT A _________ TO EXPLAIN why he was late for class again.
- Failure to show a valid ticket is LIKELY TO ________ IN you having to pay a fine.
- It is HIGHLY __________ THAT THE FILM WILL win several awards.
- Quick ACTION ON THE ________ OF the ambulance crew saved the little girl’s life.
- How can I GET IT _________ TO HIM that I’m just not that into him.
- Don’t be silly, there IS NO _________ THING as vampires.
- I’m so sorry I’m late, I (COMPLETELY) LOST __________ OF TIME!
Complete the expressions with a missing preposition.
- I was _____ the point ____ leaving the house when the phone rang.
- He insisted _____ carrying my bag for me.
- He objected _____ being treated in such a rude way.
- They accused him _____ being careless and irresponsible
- Failure to arrive on time for your flight could result ____ you being unable to travel.
- You can always count _____ Jill to have a clear plan in situations like this.
- The headmaster’s speech will be followed ____ a performance by the school orchestra.
- They congratulated me ____ passing my driving test.
- It’s time for you to make ____ your mind about the course you want to study.
- Everything is going according ____ plan.
- The company is highly spoken ____ in the local area.
- The job offer came ____ a big surprise ____ me.
- I was taken ____ by the size of the phone bill. (surprised)
- I’m not going to put up ____ your rudeness anymore! (tolerate)
- Don’t hesitate ____ call if you have any questions or doubts.
- I sometimes feel that my children take me ____ granted.
- They have put him in charge ____ the marketing department.
- I applied ____ Apple ____ a job in sales.
- I am ____ no doubt that the show will be a big success.
- The little boys took no notice ____ what their mothers were saying.
Image credit: Cambridge English
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
Before you use these materials why not check out or podcast for learners and teachers alike, it’s called 2Ts in a Pod, follow the link below to listen:
This is a list of 78 expressions from key word transformations in the CAE exam. The expressions are taken from the fantastic quizlet set that someone made. Have students study 10-15 of the expressions for homework and the use the quizlet set to test them in class; great for intensive preparation courses when you’re pressed for time. Download the handout below:
Quizlet set – 82 key word transformations
Study the expressions carefully, focus on the prepositions and patterns (gerund/infinitive etc.)
- Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU undo your seatbelt during take-off.
- A new manager HAS TAKEN OVER THE running of the finance department.
- THERE IS NO KNOWING what’s going to happen in the next few days.
- The burglar must HAVE GAINED ENTRY/ACCESS through the bathroom window.
- An ant IS CAPABLE OF carrying ten times its own body weight.
- The news that my favourite teacher was leaving CAME AS A DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME.
- Sometime I feel as if my children TAKE ME FOR GRANTED.
- I need TO GET MY PASSPORT RENEWED before our trip to Greece.
- I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WERE willing to donate some money to our cause.
- I SEE NO POINT IN asking Tina for help, she always refuses.
- Playing video games is JUST AS MUCH FUN AS playing sports.
- The defendant DENIED HAVING SEEN the woman before.
- Everyone’s opinions must BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT before a decision is made.
- It’s IN YOUR INTEREST to take good notes during class, you’ll need them for the final exam.
- I really need to GET that broken window REPAIRED.
- MUCH TO THEIR DELIGHT, Jon and Ana didn’t have to pay to get in.
- The cat REFUSED TO COME down from the tree.
- Georgina SAID SHE WOULD NOT WEAR the yellow dress her mother had chosen for her.
- Don’t FORGET TO KEEP IN TOUCH while you’re travelling.
- You need to be ON THE LOOKOUT FOR pickpockets in this area.
- Plans ARE BEING DRAWN UP for a new shopping centre on the outskirts of the city.
- MUCH TO OUR HORROR, when we got back to the hotel all our stuff had been stolen.
- Would YOU RATHER I HAD NOT told them about the party?
- LET ME KNOW if you can come to the party, I need to buy the food tonight.
- Andrés WAS AT A LOSS TO EXPLAIN why he was late for class again.
- Failure to show a valid ticket is LIKELY TO RESULT IN you having to pay a fine.
- It is HIGHLY LIKELY THAT THE FILM WILL win several awards.
- Quick ACTION ON THE PART OF the ambulance crew saved the little girl’s life.
- How can I GET IT ACROSS TO HIM that I’m just not that into him.
- Don’t be silly, there IS NO SUCH THING as vampires.
- I’m so sorry I’m late, I(COMPLETELY) LOST TRACK OF TIME!
- IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT that the plane lands on water, lifejackets are stored under your seats.
- Katy HAS BEEN MADE RESPONSIBLE FOR the sales department, she’s a bit nervous but very excited.
- Gerald has been PUT IN CHARGE OF finding a catering company for the Christmas party.
- I WAS TAKEN BY SURPRISE/ WAS TAKEN ABACK when they asked me to take over from Jon as finance manager.
- Bob is IN DANGER OF GETTING SACKED/FIRED if his bad behaviour continues.
- In the end they PLACED THE BLAME ON a group of local teenagers for the vandalism to the church.
- Sorry but I HAD THE IMPRESSION/WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION that this was a permanent contract.
- I WAS LED TO BELIEVE that the salary would be €2000 a month.
- The runner who finished second told the press that she had NO INTENTION OF RETIRING and that she’d be back to compete next year.
- It’s really difficult TO COME UP WITH GOOD IDEAS in such a short space of time.
- The young actress STANDS EVERY CHANCE OF BEING offered a big role soon.
- Dinner WILL BE FOLLOWED BY a performance by the school orchestra.
- No FEWER THAN THREE PEOPLE ARE REQUIRED to operate this machine.
- Please don’t HESITATE TO CALL (US)/ HESITATE TO GIVE US A CALL if you have any questions or doubts.
- John’s failure to answer all the interview questions COST HIM THE JOB.
- We SPENT HALF AN HOUR LOOKING for a parking space in the city centre.
- The pay rise CAME AS A SURPRISE TO me.
- THERE’S NO DENYING MY disappointment at not being given the job.
- Looks as IF TONY HASN’T BEEN sleeping well
- I’m not going TO PUT UP WITH your behaviour anymore.
- I’m really not SURE HOW I WOULD HAVE REACTED in that situation.
- Novak Djokovic BROKE DOWN IN TEARS AS he was given the trophy.
- Would you HAVE ANY OBJECTION TO ME taking the rest of the day off?
- Her LACK OF EXPERIENCE might AFFECT her ability to do the job.
- It (HAD) NEVER OCCURED TO ME to ask my grandfather for help with my history project.
- Oh dear, I think we might HAVE TAKEN THE WRONG TURNING/TURN a few miles back.
- We WOULD LIKE TO HAVE CARRIED / WOULD HAVE LIKED TO CARRY ON playing for a few more hours but it started raining.
- The project will GO AHEAD ACCORDING TO PLAN.
- You really need to MAKE UP YOUR MIND about which uni you want to go to.
- IT’S HIGH/ABOUT TIME YOU GOT your hair cut.
- The school IS HIGHLY SPOKEN of in the local area.
- He was ON THE POINT OF LEAVING the restaurant when she finally turned up.
- I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF they didn’t win this match, they’re far better than the other team.
- I am IN NO DOUBT that event will be a resounding success.
- I’m sorry but I don’t HAVE ANY RECOLLECTION OF meeting you before.
- We had TO PUT IN a claim with our car insurance company.
- They have NO CHANCE OF WINNING after that red card.
- The students TOOK NO NOTICE OF what the teacher was saying.
- The police have almost GIVEN UP HOPE OF FINDING any more survivors.
- It’s just A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE that car breaks down, it’s so old.
- I really can’t SEE THE POINT IN/OF LEARNING Latin anymore.
- The cat MADE A FAST RECOVERY after its operation.
- I DIDN’T USE TO LIKE olives when I was a kid but I love them now.
- He’s really MAKING A NAME FOR HIMSELF in the fashion world.
- We CAN AFFORD THIS HOLIDAY AS LONG AS we save up €100 a month.
- I HANDED IN MY NOTICE at work last week, 4 more weeks until I become my own boss!
- I haven’t got 10 cents, LET ALONE 1 euro.