Image credit: forevertwentysomethings.com
Follow me on twitter @
This is a worksheet for C1 students in which they learn 10 phrasal verbs and put them into practice in conversation. Download the worksheet and key below:
Match the phrasal verbs in bold with the definitions below.
- I told him to stop texting his ex-girlfriend but he didn’t act on my advice and now his new girlfriend has found out!
- Remember to back all your important files up on a pendrive so you don’t lose them.
- What are you up to this weekend? The children are very quiet upstairs, they must be up to
- He broke the cake up into 4 pieces and shared them out. The teacher ran down to the playground and broke up the fight.
- There are 100 protestors outside calling for the president’s resignation.
- The match has been called off due to the torrential rain.
- I need to throw so much stuff away, I have tonnes of books cluttering up my room.
- While I was cleaning out the attic I came across my old secondary school photo album, it’s so funny.
- I’ll come round after school and drop the books off.
- I’m finding it hard to cope with the amount of homework they teacher keeps giving me.
|a. Pay a quick visit
b. divide into parts/end/separate
d. fill untidily
e. save a copy
f. follow a recommendation
i. find unexpectedly
j. do something (sometimes something you shouldn’t do)
k. manage/deal with
Match the phrasal verbs above to the pictures. -pictures only show up on word doc :(-
Complete the questions with one of the phrasal verbs and then ask them to your partner.
- Do you usually ______ _______ your parents’ advice? Why? Why not? Have you ever not _______ ______ some advice and regretted it later?
- Is your room _________ ______ like the one in the picture above? If so what is it ___________ _____ with? Books? Clothes?
- Do people ever ___________ __________to your house unannounced?
- What’s the best way to ________ ________ a fight? Have you ever done it?
- How do you get to class? Do you travel alone or does someone _______ you ________ in a car?
- Do you always ________ ________ important files? If so where do you keep them? Have you ever lost an important document or file?
- When was the last time you ________ _________ something from your childhood that you hadn’t seen for ages?
- What does the political situation in your country at the moment _______ _______?
- What _______ you _______ ________ this weekend? What bad things did you used to get ______ ______ when you were younger?
- Can you ________ __________ the amount of work you have to do at the moment? What do you do to relieve stress?
- J (be up to can simply mean “do something” but can also mean “do something naughty”)
|Come round||Drop off||Come across||Back up|
|Break up||Call off||Call for||Clutter up|
- Act on
- Cluttered up (x2)
- Come round
- Break up
- Drop off
- Back up
- Came across
- Call for
- Are you up to + up to
- Cope with