Follow me on twitter @
This is a phrase sheet for my CAE students to help them with some nice informal expressions for the speaking assessment. The expressions are collected from various other worksheets but they idea was to have them all in one place for ease of studying. Download the sheet below.
1. I definitely take after my Mum.
2. My sister and I get on like a house on fire.
3. My Dad is the breadwinner in our family.
4. My brother and I are like two peas in a pod.
5. My cousin and I are like chalk and cheese.
6. Curly hair runs in my family
7. They say that blood is thicker than water.
8. I want to follow in my parents’ footsteps and become a doctor.
9. I’m always falling out with my sister, she’s so annoying.
10. My uncle is the black sheep of the family.
11. My little brother is the spitting image of my Dad.
12. I’m named after my great-grandfather.
1. My best friend and I have been through thick and thin together.
2. My best friend is such a good laugh.
3. My best friend and I are like brothers/sisters from another mother.
4. I can always turn to my friend for advice or help.
5. My best friend always stands up for me in an argument or fight.
6. I know that my best friend has got my back if there’s any trouble.
7. If I tell my friend a secret, I know that their lips are sealed. They would never spill the beans.
8. My best friend is definitely not a fair-weather friend.
9. My best friend and I are lifelong friends.
10. We were best friends at primary school but now we have drifted apart.
11. My best friend and I are joined at the hip.
12. I often crash at my friend’s house at the weekend.
1. Get itchy feet
2. Get the travel bug
3. Culture vulture
4. Catch some rays
5. Sit and watch the world go by
6. Pack a lot in/Have a full plate
7. See how the mood takes me
8. Travel on a shoe string
9. Live it up
10. A culture shock
11. Feel right at home
12. Watch your back
13. Travel light
14. At the crack of dawn
With any luck, I will probably…
I have a burning ambition to…
I’ve always dreamed of… so I expect I will…
I haven’t made up my mind yet but I’m leaning towards studying…
I’m torn between studying… and ….
In all likelihood I’ll study…/work in…
I see myself working in the field of…
If everything goes to plan in 5 years, I’ll be…
I’ve got it all mapped out first I’m going to… then…
I have absolutely no clue what I’m going to do tomorrow let alone in 5 years.
I have always had aspirations to go into the field of…
I expect I’ll follow in my Mum/Dad’s footsteps.
· I’m keen on / fond of……………
· I’m a keen / avid + noun
· I’m a keen swimmer.
· I’m an avid guitarist.
· I’m an avid traveller.
· I’m a (bit of a) bookworm.
· I’m an avid reader
· I’m a (bit of a) film / music / history / art buff.
· I’m a (bit of a) computer geek.
· I’m a (bit of a) shopaholic.
· I’m a (bit of a) workaholic.
· I’m a bit of a risk taker / adrenalin junky / daredevil.
· I like to recharge my batteries at the weekend.
· I like to get away from the hustle and bustle of my job / school / the city.
· The word is on the tip of my tongue
· The word escapes me at the moment but….
· I’m hooked on (Game of Thrones)
· I’m a (bit of a) girly girl.
· (Boys) I like sport, beer, and women.
· I’m a (bit of a) man’s man.
· I’m in tip top condition.
· I am / was a teacher’s pet / top of my class at school.
· English is a requirement of my course / job.
· If you want to get ahead in life you need English.
· I’ve been studying English for ages.
· I’ve been studying English for as long as I can remember.
· English is an essential / key part of my everyday life.
Typical Speaking Part 1 Questions
- What are you particular likes and dislikes?
- What do you look for in a friend?
- Describe your best friend.
- What type of holidays do you enjoy?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
- How important will English be in your future?
- Tell me about your family.
- What type of family do you have?