Image credit: www.foodnavigator-usa.com
Follow me on twitter @RobbioDobbio
This is a grammar activity designed for C1 students. Students learn how to express preference using “would rather” and “would sooner” then put them to use in a roleplay. Download the powerpoint, handout and key below:
Would rather – powerpoint
Would Rather worksheet – handout and key
Use the powerpoint to present the rules, it is designed in a test, teach, test structure. Make sure that students copy down the rules and several examples then have them complete the worksheet and finally put the structures to use in a fun role-play. Students will role play being a married couple having a very civilised argument. Once they have finished have them feedback in open class: “Can the marriage be saved? Or is it on the rocks?” My teenage CAE students found it absolutely hilarious and used the structures in very creative ways.
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb in brackets:
- I would rather ____________ a light salad than a steak for dinner. (have)
- I would rather he ________________his dirty cups all over the house. (not leave)
- Venice was nice but I’d sooner __________________ to Paris. (go)
- He’s quite antisocial he’d just as soon ____________ video games all weekend than go to a bar. (play)
- I wanted to give the present to granny! I’d rather you _______________ for me to arrive before you gave it to her. (wait)
- We had dinner outside but it was too cold. I’d much rather ______________ inside the restaurant. (eat)
Complete the key word transformations using 3-6 words.
- My brother is always stealing my chocolate out of the fridge.
I’d _______________________________________ my chocolate out of the fridge.
- Why did you tell the boss I was leaving?
I ____________________________________ the boss I was leaving.
- I prefer visiting museums to lying around on the beach all day.
I ____________________________ than lie around on the beach all day.
- The chocolates he gave me were ok but I wanted roses.
I _____________________________ me roses instead of chocolates.
- The art gallery was sooo boring; I wanted to go to the casino.
I _______________________________ to the casino instead of that boring art gallery.
- He would prefer to do anything instead of watching a football match.
He ___________________________________ anything instead of watching a football match.
Role-play the following scenario with your partner:
You are a married couple; you have been married for 23 years. You have just got back from a party at a friend’s house. At the party you both got drunk and did a lot of things to annoy your husband/wife. You are both also annoyed about some things that the other does or doesn’t do around the house. Have a civilised argument using as many “would rathers” and “would sooners” as you can.
- Didn’t leave
- Have gone
- Had waited
- Have eaten
Key Word Transformations
- Rather my brother didn’t steal
- Would rather you hadn’t told
- Would just as soon visit museums
- Would rather he had given
- Would rather have gone
- Would soon do